What is your “go-to” quality that has seen you through numerous life storms? That characteristic trait of yours that shines through, even in the most challenging of times?
This week Inner Gardeners reflected on this question over a potluck dinner and came up with words like “creativity,” “humor,” “determination,” and “confidence.” Some expressed surprise that, not until being asked this question, did they give themselves credit for the strengths that come into play in their lives again and again.
Do you remember life storms for the difficulties they caused? Or do you recognize how you’ve grown because of them? You are who you are today because of what you’ve faced and what you’ve learned as a result.
During this season of summer, marked by unexpected and sometimes unwelcome events, as well as the beauty and bounty of all that is growing, reflect on your lifetime of stormy weather. Use these questions as prompts for journaling:
- What comes to mind when you think of the life storms you have faced? Pick two, three or more and briefly describe them.
- What images do you recall as you witness yourself enduring the storm and eventually moving beyond it?
- If you were describing yourself in third person, what words would you use to capture the strengths that allowed you to not only survive the storm, but also grow because of it?
- How do those words feel when you apply them to yourself?
- Pick one or two that best fits who you were then and who you continue to be.
- Claim these attributes by posting the word or words in a place you will see every day.
Know that you can trust your resilient self, regardless of what may be happening around you.